PROMOTING YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE
In promoting a product or service, ideally tie your product or service to a news event. If this is a breakthrough or unique product or service promote it as a news story.
Without a news angle, editors tend to think you should advertise your product or service.
Some of the strategies include the following:
- Call your the media yourself or use a professional PR person to call for you.
- Send a query letter or press release about how your product or service is newsworthy or ties in with something in the news.
- Target the editors who might be interested in your product or service, based on the topics they cover. Unless this is a topic in the news, target editors who cover your field and general business editor
- Put on a special event launching your product or service and invite the media to attend. Tying your event to a charity can help you gain press interest.
- Promote yourself as an expert who can comment on a newsworthy topic because of the types of products or services offered by your company.
Ideally, create a 1-3 minute video about your products and services which you can put on your website or YouTube, and include a link to that video in your query or press release.
Send out a query letter or press release to thousands of contacts in the media or work with a publicist who can do a more personal targeted campaign to selected media.
For more details, see the books: The Complete Guide to Doing Your Own PR or The Complete Guide to Using LinkedIn to Promote Your Business or Yourself or set up a consultation on creating your campaign.
If you want a PR person to handle the initial contact or follow-up, we work with a few PR pros in L.A. and can refer you.