PROMOTING YOUR COMPANY OR ORGANIZATION
In promoting your company or organization, a good approach is to tie what you are doing to something in the news or arrange an event with a charity.
Then, seek to get the following:
- an interview with yourself or others in your company or organization
- the press to cover your event.
Some strategies include the following:
- Call the local media yourself or with the help of a professional PR person.
- Send a query letter or press release about what your company or organization is doing that is newsworthy or ties in with something in the news.
- Target the editors interested in your field based on the beats they cover. Unless this is a topic in the news, target editors who cover your field, general business, and possibly feature and lifestyle topics.
- Invite the media to a special event you are organizing; tie in with one or more charities to help you gain press interest.
In pitching yourself as an expert based on what your company or organization does, consider the following:
- Tie your company, organization, or yourself as an expert into something in the news.
- Promote yourself as an expert who can comment on that topic because of what your company or organization does.
Ideally, create a 1-3 minute video about your company or organization which you can put on your website or YouTube; include a link to the video in your query or press release.
Send a query letter or press release to thousands of contacts in the media or work with a publicist who can do a more personal targeted campaign to selected media.
For more details, see the books: The Complete Guide to Doing Your Own PR or The Complete Guide to Using LinkedIn to Promote Your Business or Yourself or set up a consultation on creating a campaign for yourself.
To send your query letter to thousands of media contacts, use one of our affiliate companies, Publishers, Agents, and Film (publishersagentsandfilms.com) and the PR and Networking Connection (prandnetworkingconnection.com.)
If you want a PR person to make the initial contact or follow-up for you, we work with a PR pro in L.A. and can refer you.